- University of Florida College of Education’s Lastinger Center for Learning
- University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611
- Contact Person:
- Philip Poekert, Principal Investigator
- (352) 273-4103
- Term of Grant:
- July 2013 – June 2015
- Grantee Initiative:
- Algebra Nation
Targeted Focus Area
- Subject Area:
- Education Levels:
Primary Grant Focus
The Lastinger Center for Learning at the University of Florida’s College of Education—in partnership with the Florida Department of Education (FDOE), the Florida Legislature, and the Study Edge online tutorial platform—has created an online learning environment for teachers, administrators, students, and parents. This environment, called Algebra Nation (www.algebranation.com), aims to connect Florida’s algebra teachers and students in an online learning community. The goal of their project is to expand and enhance the professional development features of Algebra Nation in order to help all algebra teachers in the state make the instructional shifts required by the Mathematics Florida Standards and Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Strategies for Supporting Common Core Success
Built by teachers for teachers, Algebra Nation is adding a new “Teacher Area,” featuring:
- An Interactive Wall: This learning space allows teachers to ask questions and share effective strategies for CCSS implementation with colleagues and experts throughout the state.
- A CCSS Algebra Library: A teacher-curated library features CCSS instructional videos and lesson plans indexed to specific standards. Some of the videos feature Florida teachers and highlight standards of mathematical practice in action. All teachers have the opportunity to upload lesson plans and materials they develop for colleagues to learn from and use.
- A CCSS Self-Assessment Tool for educators: This tool allows teachers to evaluate their understanding of the standards, identify areas that need improvement, and easily locate targeted supports.
A Community of Practice: This learning environment enables teachers to work collaboratively to enhance their understanding of the CCSS and related instructional strategies through lesson sharing and peer support.