- Facing History and Ourselves National Foundation, Inc
- 16 Hurd Rd., Brookline, MA 02445
- Contact Person:
- Rachel Ross, Director of Foundation Relations
- (617) 735-1627
- Term of Grant:
- July 2013 – June 2015
- Grantee Initiative:
- Facing History and Ourselves
Targeted Focus Area
- Subject Area:
- English language arts and Literacy
- Education Levels:
Primary Grant Focus
To enable secondary teachers to make the shifts in literacy instruction called for by the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Facing History and Ourselves supports a cadre of twelve teacher leaders to develop CCSS-aligned instructional modules based on Facing History content and methodology. Facing History and Ourselves plans to disseminate the high-quality resources to secondary teachers through both face-to-face and online professional learning opportunities.
Strategies for Supporting Common Core Success
With BMGF funding, Facing History and Ourselves aims to develop and share new teacher-generated instructional resources that integrate CCSS with its long-standing pedagogical approach to understanding history through inquiry and interrogation.
- Twelve teacher leaders experienced with Facing History have participated in workshops to learn how to integrate the CCSS-aligned Literacy Design Collaborative (LDC) framework using Facing History content. This pilot training has led to the development of new LDC/Facing History modules. These same teacher leaders who developed and piloted the modules are now sharing best practices and disseminating these resources in workshops in eight regions across the country.
- Facing History also provides in-person professional learning on the LDC/Facing History modules to whole districts, such as with Chicago Public Schools (CPS), where more than 600 K-12 CPS principals participated in a train-the-trainer session. Administrators learned how to implement CCSS strategies while supporting social-emotional learning using Facing History content and returned to their school sites to deliver professional learning to their staff.
- The Facing History website has been redesigned to offer a digital collection of the new teacher-generated modules and other supporting resources. Website features still in the works include building an online community for discussion, sharing, and problem solving, as well as tools that allow educators to create user-generated playlists, or personalized collections.