- Constitutional Rights Foundation
- 601 South Kingsley Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90005
- Contact Person:
- Keri Doggett, Director of Program
- (213) 316-2115
- Term of Grant:
- July 2014 – December 2015
- Grantee Initiative:
- Unleashing the Power and Potential of Common Core for History/Social Studies
Targeted Focus Area
- Subject Area:
- Education Levels:
Primary Grant Focus
To increase history and social studies teachers’ familiarity with and knowledge about Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in literacy, Constitution Rights Foundation (CRF) is implementing a myriad of professional development strategies, including forming a leadership cadre, developing CCSS-aligned instructional resources, and scaling professional development (PD).
Strategies for Supporting Common Core Success
- CRF has formed a Leadership Cadre of 10 history/social studies teachers and curriculum specialists to develop CCSS-aligned instructional resources and partner with CRF staff to deliver CCSS-related PD. Following CRF-provided training in the instructional shifts, Leadership Cadre members are developing new CCSS-aligned curriculum resources involving complex texts to accompany existing, widely used CRF materials and are creating exemplar lessons to share with other secondary teachers.
- CRF staff and teacher leaders provide history and social studies teachers in their regions with face-to-face PD focused on instructional shifts in literacy and changing instructional practice in their academic content areas. To broaden CRF’s reach, web-based PD components such as webinars, webcasts, and videos of classroom instruction are being developed to provide remote PD learning opportunities for history and social studies teachers to deepen CCSS knowledge.